The World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum is one of the biggest gatherings of the ‘ICT for Development’, or ICT4D, community. Jordi Serrano Pons, Founder of UniversalDoctor Project, will be presenting our new project called UniversalWomen Speaker, focused on providing multilingual maternal health information to pregnant women around the world.
In the coming week, the WSIS Forum will focus on the future of information and communication technologies (ICT), particularly as an engine of growth in a post-2015 development environment. Participants will engage in discussions on a number of diverse topics, such as ICT infrastructure, cybersecurity, enabling environment, e-learning, e-health, e-agriculture, media, accessibility, and ethics. High level dialogues with government ministers and representatives from business and civil society will examine:
- Women’s empowerment in the information Society: systematic, scalable strategies
- Smart climate change monitoring: Expanding access to information on weather, climate and water
- ICT innovations and standards: Creating technology for the next three billion
- Securing cyberspace in a borderless world: Vision 2015 and beyond
- ICTs and post 2015 goals
- Youth and ICTs
ITU Secretary-General Hamadoun I. Touré said, “This year’s WSIS Forum is a unique opportunity to develop multi-stakeholder consensus on what is needed for the WSIS process in the future, to ensure that the bottom-up approach of the WSIS process is preserved and that the decisions concerning modalities also respect the real requirements of the use of ICTs for socio-economic development, while ensuring growth in the ICT ecosystem itself.”
More than 1500 participants from government, private sector, civil society and international organizations are expected to attend the WSIS Forum during the week.
Anyone can watch the live stream of the WSIS Forum, just follow the instructions for Remote Participation at WSIS2013.
To find out more about the sessions being held at WSIS 2013, access the interactive agenda here.
- UniversalWomen Speaker — Multilingual eHealth Tool Tailored for Pregnancy, Childbirth and Maternal Health
- New Partnership for UniversalWomen and UniversalNurse Speaker