Launch of UniversalWomen Speaker
UniversalWomen Speaker will be launched at the Special Session on Women and eHealth at Med-e-Tel – the International eHealth, Telemedicine and Health ICT Forum taking place on April 10-12, 2013 in Luxembourg. The session is organized by the Millennia2015 International Working Group on Women and eHealth (WeHealth), chaired by Dr. Veronique Thouvenot, and ISfTeH. The goal of WeHealth goal is to investigate how women get access to, and use, ICT for health, through their network of 410 volunteers from 61 countries.
Med-e-Tel is an official event of the International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (ISfTeH) – an international federation of 74 national associations who represent their country’s Telemedicine and eHealth stakeholders.
Special Session on Women and eHealth
The objective of the Women and eHealth session is to highlight the crucial role of women in eHealth and Telemedicine and their unrecognized capacity as builders of alternative futures, based on characteristics such as an innate future orientation, capacity to mediate and to network at all levels, capacity to be social actors, to face natural catastrophes and human conflicts by creating solidarity among women. Based on the results of the WeHealth study, the session will cover various perspectives of women in eHealth and Telemedicine, with a focus on their place and roles in this arena.
The session will consist of a series of discussion panels, in order to design a global mapping of the roles and places of women within the arena of eHealth and Telemedicine. At the end of the session, a ceremony will formally launch the ISfTeH Working Group on Women (WoW) and participants will be invited to continue the dialogue during an open cocktail.
Wednesday 10 April 2013 – 14:00-17:30
Introduction and Opening Remarks
WeHealth Study 2010-2012: Results and Key Findings
- Dr. Veronique Thouvenot, Head, Women and eHealth Working Group at Millennia2015, France
- Dr. Kristie Holmes, Associate Professor of Social Work, Union University, USA
Presentation of the WeObservatory:
- Sylvie Coumel, Stakeholder & Advocacy Project Director, Sanofi, France
- Dr. Jordi Serrano Pons, CEO, UniversalDoctor, Spain
Welcome Address – Women in eHealth and Telemedicine in Panama
- Dr. Arletty Pinel, CEO, Genos Global, Panama (Moderator of the WeHealth Session)
Panel 1: Women as Beneficiaries and Healthcare Providers
- Dr. Line Kleinebreil, President, Université Numérique Mondiale Francophone (UNFM), France
- Dr. Claudia Bartz, Coordinator, Telenursing Network, International Council of Nurses (ICN), USA
- Dr. Tsedmaa Baatar, Telemedicine Project Manager, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Mongolia
Panel 2: Women as ICT Developers and Leaders
- Lenka Lhotska, University Teacher, Czech Technical University, Czech Republic
- Anna E. Schmaus-Klughammer, CEO, Klughammer GmbH, Germany
- Dr. Coumba Toure, Head, Advanced Development for Africa (ADA), Mali
- Argentina P. Matavel Piccin, Representative, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Mongolia
Conclusion and Closing Remarks
The way forward: from the results of the WeHealth study 2010 – 2012, to Action Plans and Priorities by 2015:
- Inclusion of gender considerations in eHealth policies
- Expansion of education in eHealth and Telemedicine for women
- WeHealth Study 2013 – 2015: Research and development of tools to measure the impact of women in eHealth and Telemedicine
- Prof. Yunkap Kwankam, Executive Director, International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (ISfTeH), Switzerland
- Dr. Veronique Thouvenot, Head, Women and eHealth WG Millennia2015, France
For more information, questions and expressions of interest to participate, visit the Med-e-Tel webpage for the session or contact: